AN ART LOVER’S GUIDE TO VILLACH
Austria is well known for its contributions to the arts with famous residents such as Gustav Klimt, Mozart, and Falco. Due to its strong history as an artistic capital, Austria has had a longstanding tradition of supporting the arts. Although it is humble when compared to the artistic grandeur of Vienna, Villach has a surprising number of offerings for art lovers. With plenty of theaters, galleries, and some interesting annual events (many of which are free!) there is something for everyone. Come see what the Draustadt has to offer for art lovers.
- neuebuehnevillach: Engaging theater takes center stage at neuebuehnevillach. Located in the heart of the city, this theater group is active all year long providing thought-provoking and relevant entertainment with an average of eight self-produced productions a year. In the summer, it is possible to enjoy neuebuehnevillach moves it theater to the river with Theater am Schiff.
- Kremlhoftheater Villach: Did you know that the smallest professional theater in the world is in Villach? With only 8 seats, this small theater is tiny, but mighty. Even though it is small in size, this theater organizes plenty of productions ranging from spoken word, acrobatics, cabaret, and more.
- Kulturhofkeller: Concerts, theater, dance, and film - this theater space has it all. Party the night away at Sound Club LOCO or enjoy a performance during the Summer Theater series. There is always something to see at the Kulturhofkeller.
- Galerie Freihausgasse: Located in the city center of Villach, is the city’s very own art gallery. What makes Galerie Freihausgasse unique is that it also encourages the arts in the community with a comprehensive art education program. With its convenient location in the city center and refreshing range of exhibitions, there’s no excuse not to visit - go enjoy some art.
- Dinzlschloss: Since 2007, the Cultural Center for the City of Villach has used this castle as an exhibition center for the arts. From its beginnings as the Martineck castle, this unique gallery space has transformed into a top art location for the City of Villach. Enjoy interesting discussions, exhibitions, and more in this gallery with more than 500 years of history.
- Street Art Festival: Every year, street artists from across Europe come to Villach to perform. For two days in July, the Villach City Center is bustling with musical acts, jugglers, dancers, contortionists, and more. The event is free for everyone to enjoy, but be sure to bring some money to tip these amazing performers.
- Spectrum Theater Festival: For more than 25 years, the Spectrum Theater Festival has brought free performances and theater workshops to the banks of the Drau River. This unique week-long summer event brings performers from Austria, Slovenia, and Italy together to showcase engaging acts for the Villach public to enjoy.
- Opera on the Drau: On a balmy summer evening, it is possible to enjoy a free opera performance on an unbelievable floating stage right in the middle of Villach’s Drau river. It is opera like you have never seen it before and it is free for all to enjoy. In 2018, the event will take place on Thursday, August 9th.
- Kinosommer: Combine the fine August weather in Villach with the beautiful setting of the Villach Music School and you have a one-of-a-kind movie theater. Throughout August, Kinosommer will be showing a different film at 8:45 pm.