WHAT’S NEW!? #16 - VILLACH IN JULY 2022
The welcome2villach team collects the most important news from around Villach in a compact, monthly “News Story”, with links to more information. In July head outside into nature and to Summerfeeling in Villach’s city center, the winners of the “My Idea - My Shop” competition will introduce themselves, and we’re looking forward to all kinds of exciting and cultural events.
- Villach optimizes digital services platform: With the city government’s new e-portal, called KAERSTIN (short for Kommunale Angebote erstaunlich einfach nutzen, or “using municipal offers amazingly easily”), it is now even easier to accomplish bureaucratic matters digitally. You can use the platform with your “Handysignatur”, ID-Austria, or by registering through the portal itself.
- New city bus schedules: As has been already announced several times by the City, almost all city bus lines will have a new schedule beginning on July 11. Buses will then run every half an hour during peak times and every hour at other times. You can find the new timetables here.
- Large housing survey: In order to evaluate the real situation around Villach’s housing market, the City commissioned a study to be done by the Carinthia University of Applied Sciences. The results are now in. Among other things, the survey looked at how the need for housing will develop in the coming years, how vacancies are to be assessed, and what requests the public has regarding living spaces. It is clear that the amount of subsidized housing should be increased and that people find rents too high - even though total costs for housing (rent plus utilities) are far under the Austrian average. It is still possible to take part in the survey.
- The winners of “My Idea - My Shop”: From nine promising candidates, three equal winners emerged from the “My Idea - My Shop” initiative, which the City of Villach launched with the Carinthian Economic Development Fund. Amuthavalli Chinnappan opened an Indian grocery store at Italiener Straße 8, Edith Erjavec is now selling sustainable and educational wooden toys at Hans-Gasser-Platz 1, and Andrea Zobl is renting electric cargo bikes at Ankershofengasse 1.
- New recreational activities basecamp in the heart of the city: Villach is THE paddle city in the south and since the beginning of June it’s been possible to launch into the river directly from the Drau terraces downtown. Whether you’re looking for a kayak, a canoe, or a SUP, this rental station has it all and is open from 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. daily. With the food stand and stylish wooden deck chairs you’ll definitely want to hang out for a while! All information about offers and rentals can be found here.
- Events in July: The Alps-Adriatic Ceramic Market, with 50 artisans and exhibitors, will take place from June 29-July 2; the Grill & BBQ Festival is happening from July 6-10 at the Parkhotel; on July 13, 20, and 27 you’ll find music and art at the Walk of Art on Lederergasse; and on July 9 an opening concert at the Congress Center will kick off the Carinthian Summer concert series.