FALL EXCURSIONS WITH KIDS
November in Villach - the leaves are falling, the weather is chilly, and many families with children still want to get out and enjoy our beautiful region before the real cold weather sets in. Unfortunately, a great many of the interesting, educational, and fun excursion destinations that those of us with children know and rely upon are closed until spring, and others have not yet opened for the winter season. So what’s there to do in this shoulder season, to bring kids some fun and interest on these late fall afternoons and weekends? Is anything open??
The short answer is: yes! We here at welcome2villach have done the sorting and calling and searching for you, and have compiled a list of great excursion ideas to help you and your children make the most out of these weeks in late fall!
1. Family Hike Fuchsfaehrte - Though the weather is getting chillier, November often has beautiful days that are great for hiking. This easy and super fun walk to Lake Aichwaldsee is appropriate for all ages, and also includes playgrounds. Takes about an hour and is also suitable for strollers.
2. Family Hike Woroun auf der Spur - If your children are already a bit older (8+), this hour and a half circular adventure hike with dragon-themed information stations along the trail is sure to be a hit.
3. Pyramidenkogel - With amazing views over Carinthia, the Pyramidenkogel is the highest wooden viewing tower in the world. You can enjoy the view - and the 120 meter long spiral tunnel slide! - over two long weekends in November (19-21 and 26-28). There’s a playground and restaurant on-site, and the Advent Market will also be open beginning on November 19th.
4. JumpzoneX - Bad weather + energetic kids? Check out Villach’s amazing trampoline park! With more than 50 trampolines and all kinds of fun activities, your children will come home happy and worn out. Advance reservations recommended.
5. Climbing Hall Villach - In addition to the kid-friendly bouldering areas and children’s area with slides, ball pits, and safe climbing areas, this climbing hall also offers climbing classes for children, birthday party packages, and drop-in taster sessions on Wednesdays from 5:30-6:30 p.m. where you can try it all out.
6. Museum für Volkskultur - The half-hour trip to Spittal an der Drau is totally worth it to check out this interesting and interactive museum where you and your children can learn in a hands-on way about the culture, customs, and geography of Carinthia. Also includes films and multimedia presentations. From November to April the museum is open Mon-Thur 1-4 p.m. (closed on holidays).
7. Terra Mystica - A 68 meter long miner’s slide will transport you into the fascinating underground world of mining. Includes show mines, multimedia shows, a journey on a mining train, and all kinds of interesting information about the history of mining in the region. Guided tours on Wed and Sat at 2 p.m.
8. Planetarium Klagenfurt - Seeing the vastness of space projected onto the giant dome-shaped screen above you in a planetarium is really an amazing experience! With diverse shows (including some in English) about space exploration, solar systems, alien life, dinosaurs, and more, an excursion here is likely to fascinate both children and adults.
9. Walderlebniswelt Klopeiner See - With more than 80 indoor and outdoor attractions, including playgrounds, slides, slacklines, ziplines, and much much more, this adventure park offers hours of fun for families. Definitely worth the drive! From November - March the park is open Fri-Sun and on all school vacation days.
10. Attractions in Villach - Don’t forget the fun things to do right here in our own city during the colder months! Until the end of February there will be a Ferris wheel (observation wheel) set up on Nikolaiplatz, which is not only great fun for children (and adults!) but also offers fantastic views of the city and region. Ice skating at Rathausplatz and Villach’s festive Advent Markets will be opening on November 13th, and you can visit the breathtaking Winter Wonder Woods in the park behind the Parkhotel beginning on November 27th.
Bonus: Several of the day-trip ideas we’ve written about before are also open throughout the fall, so make sure to keep them in mind too! Check out the KärntenTherme Thermal Spa for amazing water fun, KlippKlapp Pony Farm for pony rides and a petting zoo, or the Organic Citrus Garden if you love food and incredibly unique varieties of fruit.
Note: Please make sure to check current COVID-19 rules and regulations before your outing! Most indoor attractions currently require mouth and nose coverings or FFP2 masks, and the “3-G-Rule” also broadly applies.