WHAT’S NEW!? #23 - VILLACH IN FEBRUARY 2023
The welcome2villach team collects the most important news from around Villach in a compact, monthly “News Story”, with links to more information. In February there will be news about the planned "local development concept" of the city of Villach, the recently initiated cybersecurity campaign "Cybermop" and the start of the modification of Villach's main square.
- The start of permanent trees and district heating on Villach's Hauptplatz: The planting of ten firmly rooted trees, according to the sponge city principle, and the connection of many houses along the main square to the district heating by KELAG ensure more greenery and fewer emissions in Villach's city center. Construction phase 1, where a district heating line is laid in the area between the town hall and Unterer Kirchenplatz and the first tree is planted near the farmacy “Kreisapotheke”, runs from February 20th to March 24th. Construction stages 2 and 3 are to follow from August to mid-November 2023 and in autumn 2024.
- New "Local Development Concept" for Villach: The concept (called: ÖEK) forms the spatial planning guideline for decisions with regard to the future development of the city. Central questions of coexistence, such as which areas should be used for infrastructure and green spaces, are clarified on the basis of studies, expert reports and objective data sets. For the first time, the new local development concept is also to be created with the participation of Villach’s residents: 16 people from 600 Villach residents, with as many different demographic backgrounds as possible, were selected to actively contribute their ideas as a citizens’ council and help shape the city.
- The successful combination of the new bus system and the shared taxi offer of Villach makes it possible to visit the city even late in the evening without a car. With the new, better developed “BUS:SI” bus cycle system, sporting and cultural events can easily be attended by public transport. Between 8 p.m. and 5 a.m., the Villach shared taxi “VAXi” takes event visitors and other night owls safely and cheaply to their desired destination.
- The new cybersecurity information campaign "Cybermop" of the state of Carinthia is designed to ensure more security on the Internet. Due to the increasing cybercrime, the aim is to sensitize administrative employees and all citizens to dangers from the web and to develop safe handling of them.
- Villach's popular ski area, the Gerlitzen Alpe, has started the new ski season with a great new mobility cooperation with the ÖBB. As a result, Gerlitzen online day tickets, season tickets and 20-hour season tickets are now valid as tickets for climate-friendly arrival and departure by S-Bahn. When arriving with the climate ticket or the ÖBB Vorteilscard, a discounted day ticket can be purchased. Since this season, visitors to the Gerlitzen Alpe can also look forward to a new four-seater chairlift and a new escalator system in the parking deck of the Kanzelbahn.
- Although summer still seems far away, many parents are already busy planning this year's summer holidays. In order to ensure that the children are looked after and to be able to offer them a varied and fun leisure program, it is important to find out about offers early enough and to book them in advance. The city of Villach has already collected and listed information on many planned courses, and other providers are constantly being added. Click here for the Summertime overview.
- From February 21st to March 5th the FIS Nordic World Ski Championships 2023 will take place in the nearby Slovenian town of Planica. Athletes from all over the world gather there to compete in the disciplines of ski jumping, cross-country skiing and Nordic combined and to get one of the coveted medals. If you don't want to miss this unique elite winter sports event, you should take the opportunity and stop by. Tickets can be purchased here.
- The event highlight in February is definitely the popular Villach carnival parade again, on Carnival Saturday. This year it falls on February 18th, beginning at 2 p.m. Culture lovers can also look forward to a great Shrove Monday concert (February 20th) and various theater performances for young and old this month.