BILINGUAL EDUCATION IN VILLACH AND THE SURROUNDING REGION
Being able to speak different languages is a huge advantage. Kids who grow up bilingually or learn two languages in school have advantages not only in the job market or in their university studies, but learning a second language also has a positive influence on how tolerant people are. By learning a second language, children automatically get exposed to another culture, and in today’s world it is especially important to be open-minded to other cultures.
Bilingual education is offered at several schools in Villach:
- There have been “International Bilingual Classes” at BG/BRG St. Martin high school since 1995/96. In this track, all subjects (except math and German) are taught in both English and German, with more content in English as the kids get older. Classes are team-taught by the regular class teacher and a university-educated native English speaker.
- There is also a bilingual German/English class at Volksschule 1 Khevenhüller elementary school. Physical education, arts & crafts, and social studies are alternatingly taught in German and English. The children also learn math, German, and English in both languages, increasingly more in their second language as they get older.
- Volksschule 3 in Lind has offered its students bilingual education in German and Italian since 2001. Kids are team-taught bilingually in math, social studies, music, art, arts & crafts, and physical education. Furthermore, at this school there is the possibility of taking an additional language class in English.
- The International School Carinthia in Velden is a recognized International Baccalaureate (IB) school and offers a complete academic program (Primary Years Programme, Middle Years Programme, and Diploma Programme) with English as the language of instruction.
- In the mixed-language areas of Carinthia there are a total of 59 elementary schools that offer bilingual education with German and Slovenian as the languages of instruction. In Villach, bilingual German/Slovenian education is offered at Volksschule 8 in Maria Gail, and there are several schools that offer it in Villach Land, including VS Damtschach, VS Finkenstein or MS Finkenstein.
Bilingual education at all age levels supports speaking practice, helps build speaking confidence, and helps prepare kids to later deal with technical terms and challenging texts in their university studies or their jobs. If you’re thinking of enrolling your child in one of Villach’s bilingual education programs, you will find further information through the links provided in the text!