HIKE AND ENJOY DURING HÜTTENKULT
Enjoy culinary hiking in the heart of Carinthia during the annual HÜTTENKULT hiking event. From September to October, mountain huts throughout Carinthia serve up their best fare for hiking enthusiasts. Carinthia’s mild climate in autumn makes it the perfect time of year to enjoy hiking in the region. Whether you are an experienced hiker with a big appetite or if you are new to hiking and want to give it a try, HÜTTENKULT is the perfect reason to get outdoors. It’s a culinary event like nothing else.
5 REASONS TO GO FOR A HIKE WITH HÜTTENKULT
1. GOOD FOR HEART AND SOUL
Going for a hike in the mountains and forests of Carinthia helps you forget about the worries of everyday life. Relax in nature with amazing views, fresh air, and culinary delights. Let someone else do the cooking - you’ve already done the hard work by hiking! Spending time in nature will nourish not only your stomach but also your heart and soul.
2. MOUNTAINTOPS AND VILLACH WITH A VIEW
All of the HÜTTENKULT trails offer hikers the opportunity to see the region from a new point of view. There are two huts on the Gerlitzen mountain, two on the Dobratsch, and one on the Mittagskogel with each offering a different view of the city of Villach below. Don’t forget your camera, you will want to remember these views.
3. TASTE FLAVORS OLD AND NEW
There is no better way to reward yourself after a long hike than with a delicious meal. Lucky for HÜTTENKULT hikers, the huts in Carinthia offer not only traditional meals but modern cuisine as well. At the Hundsmarhof hut, you can try something unexpected with their take on “Alpine sushi” (call to reserve in advance). For fans of traditional Austrian sweets, enjoy the apple strudel at the Berta Hut on Mittagskogel. At Berta Hut they prepare their apple strudel from a secret recipe that has been a closely guarded secret for more than 300 years. Who knew that the huts in the Villach - Faaker See - Ossiacher See region had so much to offer?
4. DISCOVER NEW HIKING ROUTES
Try new hikes or experience favorite trails from a different perspective. HÜTTENKULT is the perfect opportunity to take the road less traveled and to try new challenges. Hike through three countries with the Dreiländertour and enjoy a snack bread at the Dreiländereck hut. You can also try one of the three trails that lead to Hundsmarhof hut if you are looking to try something new.
5. EXPERIENCE TRADITION
Alpine huts have provided hikers the opportunity to become acquainted with nature for more than 125 years. Austrian hut culture began as an initiative by the Austrian Alpine Club to make the peaks of Austria accessible to all. Nowadays, the hut tradition continues with more than 1,000 huts throughout the Eastern Alps. By participating in HÜTTENKULT you not only get an excellent meal and a good workout but also the chance to experience the traditional hut culture of Austria.
NEW IN 2018
- HÜTTENKULT Opening Event on September 1st: Celebrate the start of HÜTTENKULT at the Neugarten Almseehütte on the Gerlitzen mountain. Starting at 10 am, there will be a live performance from the Alphornbläsern Kanaltal. Enjoy brunch on the mountain with traditional foods such as Hüttenfrigga, hearty Ritschert stew, and Spansau (roasted pig). After a filling meal, the party continues with live music from Udo Wenders and Doctor Südbahn. See you there!
- HÜTTENKULT Passport: A fulfilling hike and delicious meal aren’t the only rewards you can earn from HÜTTENKULT. New this year is the HÜTTENKULT Passport, a fun new way to take your hiking to the next level. Simply bring along your HÜTTENKULT Passport and get a stamp at each participating hut you visit. Each Passport with four stamps can enter to win one of many exciting prizes. Pick up your HÜTTENKULT Passport at one of the region’s tourist offices and compete for your chance to win a € 500 voucher from Pleamle, a weekend for two at the Dobratsch Gipfelhaus and a € 50 voucher from all participating HÜTTENKULT cabins.
For a list of participating huts in this year’s HÜTTENKULT go to www.huettenkult.at. See you on the trail!